How does thyroid work and what does it do – Orange Acupuncture in Orange County
How does thyroid work?
Hypothalamus – Pituitary – Thyroid axis works like Boss – Manager – Worker:
- Hypothalamus releases “thyrotropin-releasing hormone(TRH)”, stimulates the Pituitary.
— the boss asks the manager to work.
- Pituitary then release “thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)”, stimulates the Thyroid.
— the manager asks the worker to work.
- Thyroid then release “triiodothyronine (T3)” and “thyroxine (T4)”.
— the workers start to work.
- When the T3 and T4 level raise, it suppresses the Pituitary and Hypothalamus to release TSH and TRH.
— when the Boss and manager saw the workers working, they’ll stop pushing them.
(When T3 and T4 level drop, 1 and 2 runs again, then Thyroid is stimulate again to release T3 and T4. It is constantly balancing.)
What does thyroid hormones mainly do?
- It accelerates metabolism.
- It promotes growth and development, especially brain, nerve system and bones.
- Excites the nerve system.
- Increases heart rate.
- Increase appetite and bowel movement.
Thyroid is basically like the gas pedal(of the car) in our body. When you step on the gas pedal, the gas burn faster and consume more air, the engine runs faster, and produce more heat.
ORANGE ACUPUNCTURE in Orange County, WINSTON WANG